Saturday, December 19, 2009

By the power of the internet!


This is my stove top. Yesterday I was doing a thorough cleaning where I removed all of the burner tops and scrubbed everything down. About a half hour after I got done, I heard a clicking sound. So after some investigating, I found that all of the ignitors were trying to spark. Every 45 seconds or so they would 'click' and spark. Even turning on the burner didn't stop the 'clicking'.
At this point I began to get a little freaked. I mean, this is gas and fire we're talking about. What if I got cleaner down into the ignitor and it ruined something? Normally, I would have immediately called a repair man, who would have come out, charged me an arm and a leg for something simple. So since I am trying to be frugally conservative and a take charge kind of woman, I simply looked it up on line. What did I google you ask? I typed in 'I cleaned my gas stove top and now it wont stop clicking'. Seriously. And low and behold I had over 100 matching responses. Gotta love Google.
Just about everything that I read said that the ignitor had simply gotten wet and needed to dry out. It suggested unplugging the range, taking everything off, and pointing a fan at it to dry it out. So I followed their suggestions. I let it dry out for 24 hours. And sure enough, when I plugged it back in the clicking had stopped. It was back to normal and I had saved myself the repair bill.

2 comments:

  1. I love the fact that an answer for everything is at my fingertips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things are so simple, but we dread to do it ourselves.
    Once done the satisfaction is something different.

    ReplyDelete