Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup

Tis the time of year for colds and flus. And what's better when you're all stuffed up and icky than a hot bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup. And a bowl that's super cheap to make too.

Every week I boil 2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts to be used in various meals.



Simply throw the chicken in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.


If you're going to make a pot of soup with your chicken broth, be sure to add some chicken bouillon to the water before it starts boiling. Add to taste.


After the chicken is fully cooked, remove from pot. I usually take one breast and shred with a fork. (The rest of the chicken gets put into the fridge for later meals). Put the chicken back into the pot and turn heat to a medium.


No soup is perfect without a few veggies. I usually like to add 2 or 3 carrot stalks and 2 celery stalks.


Season to taste.


I use a whole bag of noodles. I usually wait until I can find these on sale for under $1.00 and stock up. Add noodles to the pot and turn heat to high. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and let simmer (stirring occasionally) for about 45 minutes.
Voila. Simple and good.
The thing about this that I have enjoyed the most is that since I make a pot every week (one pot usually makes about 6 servings) I have seperated and frozen most of the soup into individual plastic containers. With everyone catching colds and not feeling well, I have been able to take just about everyone 2-3 bowls of homemade chicken noodle soup! A perfect get well present.

No comments:

Post a Comment